Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Reality of 1979 - I was 16 and broke

I spent a lot of time at audio stores, kinda on the outside looking in. Listened in when others auditioned gear; the decent salesmen noticed I was discreet, stayed out of the way, and didn't waste their time and they welcomed me. I'll always be grateful for that.

That said, most of it wasn't worth listening to. I was in the 'burbs so really good gear was really pretty thin, but most shops had bits and pieces that could add up to good sound.

there were some gear heads on the outer periphery of my circle of friends that got some VERY good sound from cheap (in 1979!) old beater tube gear and reel to reel. One guy even had some salvaged Altec theatre horns (popular for parties). They were a bit older and graduated to wrenching beater cars before I really learned anything from them, but it left a big impression.

I had Jensen triax's in my Chevy Impala. Stupid girlfriend cranked the volume all the way up and blew them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Reality of 1979 - I was 16 and broke - bean 20:59:18 01/07/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.