Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Laments - January 1979 Audio Magazine

Basement organization brought me upon this issue. not in my regular box of audio mags, I probably pulled it for a Heyser reference (Rosetta Stone) I used in a paper a dozen years ago.

This has to be the heyday of audio, we were interested in digital, and technically obsessed. So let's thumb through the pages:

$175 Pioneer PL518 Turntable in the fold out inside front cover. That in itself is noteworthy, considering the market implications - the cost of the add and the amount of technology built into the turntable. The same year I bought a Mazda RX-7 Rotary Engine Sports car for $12K -- For twice that today - how much better is the MX5 (Miata). Could we get a better TT for $400 today?

Page 4 and 5. Adds for Allison (Used Loudspeakers)and APT Holman Preamplifier (Reliably good Sonics) on either side of the publishers credits, flanked by a full page Technics RS-1506 "Isolated Loop" transport Reel to Reel. Who didnt want one of those - or still do? I raise my hand.

On Page 6, the Audio Clinic addresses a question about a Electromagnetic (Field coil) Loudspeaker. I still think it is a good idea for a loudspeaker, and is still in use by my company today in our electro-dynamic shakers) Electro-Voice "Interface-B" bookshelf ad on the margin. The wonderful Empire 698 Turntable is on the facing page.

Following is an article by Edward Canby, discussing the historical advancement in (Vinyl) disc technology. His tone reflect a bit of lament as well - bracing for technological leaps at the dawn of the digital era.
Space in the article are Ads for TDK SA Cassette Tape, a rare today Harmon Kardon 3500 Cassette Deck, the Crown "Straight Line Amp and preamp, the PS Audio PSIII pre-amplifier, and Wisconsin Discount Stereo (remember mail order?). On finishing the Canby's eloquence, your eyes fall - and jaw drops - upon the stunning Phase Linear 700 Series Two Power Amplifier.

Only through page 18 of 150 pages and I'm pausing to take my breath.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Laments - January 1979 Audio Magazine - BigguyinATL 13:42:27 01/06/15 (39)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.