Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: KLH 25 stereo system

This unit looks like it was not run much. Obviously, owner did not use records. If I still lived in Ft Myers or Cape coral, this would be coming home or to the office.

These are quite rare and we're the most expensive of the KLH systems having the largest of their amps and the 23 speaker complement. The only stepup was the Twenty-Five AM that included the AM tuner and under the hood was the Twenty-Seven receiver.

Only produced for about a year as by the time it arrived consoles were going out of voque. At Cramer, I sold the only one and it was rather steeply discounted, The orders were to free up the floor space and it sold within hours. I had snickered it as sold when a lady who was a regular came in and asked to trade in her KLH compact, think it was a 20. I could not refuse her. I was not happy as I rung up the refund for the original buyer - me. By that time the Twenty-Seven was in reality gone as was the Sixteen, though both were still listed as from time to time a few were found in the KLH inventory and offered. The reality was they were refurbished bit, not so marked. Only the Forty-Ones were marked as such so salesperson's could counter the reliability issues that were well known.

The swing doors were a great idea. Remember KLH was in Cambridge where many homes were old and rooms were small. The company seemed geared more towards the Beacon Hill market and students in dorms than the neuvo rich in 10,000 square foot homes. The swing doors kept the foot print small, not much larger than a single Model Twelve speaker when not in use. The concept was not dissimilar to the false walls for a K'horn so where ever placed there were boundaries. It worked better than a couple of companies that used swing out speakers.

I know we have members in the Ft Myers area, I hope one of us gets this and saves it as it is really a piece of KLH history due to rarity.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: KLH 25 stereo system - Brian Levy 06:08:18 01/06/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.