Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Fabulous Restoration!

thank you,

Pretty simple idea on the cabinets, just have to have some patience..Basically my cases are an homage to the originals, just better materials. Instead of the "flimsy" 3/8 thick plywood, which will de- laminate or dry out after heat and temperature change, I use high density 3/4 MDF, which is a man-made engineered product. The extra thickness gives the units more "beef" and strength. 40 degree chamfered bezel on the front is also similar to the original Scott case.

The MDF will not be affected by temperature change and drying, the material will not move like plywood or solid wood construction..Many times you see the fasteners fall out of the original cases, this is also caused by the constant expansion and shrinking of the wood fibers. These cases do not use fasteners and will act more like one solid piece.

Many times I see wood workers make "nice" solid wood cases, however, with tube gear this is kind of mistake, the joints will expand and contract, and after awhile deform. You can do these with solid wood, but you cannot use simple joinery, it makes the design more complex, and you need higher end tools and wood working skills to do that..

These cases are then laminated with rare African Mahogany veneer. The finish is tung-oil, a few coats of satin polyurethane, and then fine steel wool to even it out. The vent screen is 1/8 perforated aluminum sheet 3/32 diameter hole pattern. The size is nearly identical to Scott's trapezoid shape, it slides in a slot like the originals do.

Another reason I use this method is that my saw is not accurate enough to construct an accurate solid wood case. This design is actually more practical for audio..

cheers,

J

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.