Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: When to recap a speaker.

Tough question. The Fives like many KLH speakers used electrolytic and dual caps. The engineers and parts sourcers never planned on the parts to be good more than half a century later.

Some caps can have a catastrophic failure as one in my Heresy IIs had not long ago. The obvious answer is when this happens there is no option but to replace. Some simply over time break down and go out of spec. They may be well out of spec and an owner may not notice it. A few years ago I acquired a pair of Wharfedale W70s. 1 had a dead cap and the tweeter was dead. The other sounded so fine that I suspected the cap was good but as I had to replace 1, I needed to do both. After pulling it, I found it was more than 100% out of spec.

Some many Fives that have not been refused have non working tweeters. In checking, more often than not it is the caps. I think it is safe to assume the caps are suspect and should be checked. In older speakers, oil caps should still be checked but tend to be less failure prone.

If the caps are swollen, they are on their last legs. With the caps in the KLH swelling or discoloration are tell tale signs.

When replacing the caps, the problem of which to use is right up there with tube rolling. As caps are an important component in voicing the speaker you need to decide where you want to go. Try to improve the original design or try to keep it. It is a personal choice. I tend to favor keeping the voicing as designed.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: When to recap a speaker. - Brian Levy 17:49:24 01/04/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.