Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Receiver and speakers to complement Thorens td 160?

ARC did not continue the SP3 design and in fact produced some pretty horrid models.

They continually strive to do better. I guess philosophically, I prefer companies that never rest on their laurels or don't experiment with different approaches. They may lay a few eggs along the way, but continue to move forward and advance the art. The same can be said for the evolving designs of Nelson Pass.

In the case of the SP3 series, you can only refine a product so far. Actually, the SP6 series (I used one from '81-'99), was essentially an SP3 with larger power supply resulting in better response at the extremes. It's true that the solid state SP4/SP5 design was a comparative toad. The SP9 now used in the garage system provides similar magic as the SP6, but with its higher gain and lower noise, supports MC cartridges like the Shinon I use with only two gain stages.

The 3 would still be one of the best if ARC had stuck with it and not started screwing around with say the power supply in their support services.

If you recall, changes were made due to parts availability. BTW, you can upgrade any SP3 at the factory today.

The DB-1 was a good product both then and now. Never, however, was it a great product. I would, however, take one in a New York minute over a C28 though. :)

The SP20 is a single box full function preamplifier (with phono stage) based on the REF5 circuit which sounds far better than those early ground breaking models. I am especially taken by its micro dynamics.

I still find no advantage of these new cars over say, my old Checker or Nash Metropolitan or MG1100 or, the Renault LeCar.

Well, they all take you from point A to point B. :)

edit: I'm curious as to exactly what this means:

I used to do things with my C28...

Edits: 12/30/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Receiver and speakers to complement Thorens td 160? - E-Stat 06:44:07 12/30/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.