Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Receiver and speakers to complement Thorens td 160?

My 160 came to me right after they were introduced and through thick and thin has never failed me, disappointed me or lost a contest. Most recently my Thorens TD125 and Empire 598III both left leaving the 160 as my only remaining table.

As for a receiver and speakers. Well, I have had mine on from bargain basement systems to systems today that used sell in the 6-figure range. The bigger issue is to mate the right cartridge to the phono pre and that to all else.

Speakers are a big part of the system sound and the cartridge is next. Listen for speaker you like. I currently am running 4 very different sounding and different designs and each like for different reasons. I likely could dial the system in better with a cartridge competition but, find running covers most bets. The stock arm is better than many say which, I do not understand. It is quite balanced in sonic character and quite bullet proof.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Receiver and speakers to complement Thorens td 160? - Brian Levy 12:28:43 12/29/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.