Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: slide or rocker switches?

If you pull apart most rocker switches you will discover they are slide switches, toggles are different. Typically but not always a rocker has somewhat more environmental protection than a slide.

I think the quality of the metal components, contact area and, plating as well as current handling is more important than whether a slide or toggle. When I used to play diy or the like, I tried to use the highest amperage switch for all whether power or signal level current. Never used as low as a 5 amp switch and mostly stayed with 25 amp. Best switch I ever found was from Switchcraft's, wafer body hermaticly sealed toggles. Never had 1 go bad. Their 15 amp switch weighed more than 2x that of most average 25 amp toggles. Worst part was if something happened, they were sealed and cleaning was not an option or even soaking.

If you are doing diy and want to go all out go to capacitive switches and never worry about mechanical or dirty contacts, etc. You could also go with relay switching and go with high current gold contacts on the relays and come almost as close.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: slide or rocker switches? - Brian Levy 08:19:03 12/25/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.