Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Anybody using gear 30+ years old that hasn't been restored? A lot!

My Pioneer SX-650 has been in regular use ever since I bought it new. Right now it's the nerve center of the bedroom system, and comes on every morning on a timer. The only thing that doesn't work on it is the stereo indicator light on FM. That's all.

My Dynaco A-25XLs have been in regular use. Right now one of them is the center channel in the main music/video system, and the other is hiding inside a Fisher Stereo Companion from 1959 (the amp has been restored!). A pair of Dynaco A-10 speakers I bought for my parents in the late 70s came back to me years ago, and I use them as the rears in the music/video system.

I still use an unrestored Pioneer PL-400 turntable from the 80s; it works well in the study as my digitizing turntable, hooked up to a Mitsubishi DA-R35 receiver that had one repair many years ago under warranty and has worked flawlessly ever since.

I keep wondering if all this old gear needs work, even as it still sounds fine.

There are two pieces of truly vintage equipment that HAVE had work done: a Fisher Contemporary II console from 1959, and the matching Stereo Companion speaker/amplifier unit. They have been recapped and work reliably.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Anybody using gear 30+ years old that hasn't been restored? A lot! - desertorganist 19:44:04 12/17/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.