Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: So this is it - I think I'm really done?????

Sometimes,in building audio systems, (and in lots of other things in life) you get so caught up in all the issues related to what yopu are doing at the moment. People are telling you this and that, and in particular how what you are doing right now is way wrong, or often dumb or stupid, and that you need to keep messing around over and over.

An awful lot of the stuff people fuss and complain about doesn't really matter at all, but some people can't resist the urge to think it is important, anyway. Examples include really expensive interconnect wires, expensive speaker wire that would be suitable for hooking up an arc welder, and expensive caps in loudspeakers.

Me? I'm a 16-gauge zip cord and electrolytic cap kind of guy.

I basically think that perhaps as much as 90 percent of the stuff audiophiles fret over are simply in the minds of the beholders, but then I don't crawl in with the guys on the speaker forum who say they are shopping for two small bookshelf speakers and have a $2,500 budget either. Then they get them home and say "these sound pretty good except that the low end seems a little light (surprise! Surprise!) and I must need a sub. Are there any good subs out there avilable for less than $1,500? My wife is already complaining about spending the $2,500 on the two dumb little speakers which are balancing on stands to get them in the air a bit"

I'm not quite sure of what to make regarding ll this fascination with 60s tube amplification here lately. I have various solid-state receivers dating from the early 70s to the 2000's and later and they all seem to work really well. They just run and I haven't ripped them apart. I will only say for now that I think some of you are fascinated by the orange glow of tubes, and this can "color" what you think you are hearing out of your loudspeakers. My memories of the tube era are not good, as in the 1956 Philco set my parents had that seemed to blow a 12AU7A or some other tube every three months or so and I really don't want to go back there. Meanwhile MY Sherwood S-7300 just runs and haven't ripped into it and tried to do things to it I don't understand.

As I step back from my work over the years, acquiring various equipment pieces, dreaming up ideas for an HT system largely built around home-brew speakers I accumulted over the years, I smile and say to myself that SOME of this stuff really sounds pretty good, and it works whenever I turn it on. I could fret some more, but its time to sit back and enjoy, instead, and quit fretting over stuff people are talking about that doesn't really matter in the larger scheme of things.

David

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.