Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Restore and upgrade that baby.

I understand that this pre has some followers in the vintage world. I have never done a comparison between it a say a C22 , Marantz 1 or 7 ARC SP3 etc.

I have a 3 or 4 vintage pre's (some mentioned above) and the Fisher is not in the same regard as those from a collector's point of view. I don't think you would do any harm by thoughtfully replacing the electrolytics with FP cans that mostly match the look of the originals.

I have actually done that on some Marantz pieces by re-stuffing with small high performance radials. You can't tell. On the other hand hook it up ,ramp it up and listen and measure. You may have to do nothing at all. Ends up being cheaper and it may be what the collector of such a piece may want in the end.

IOW I would not touch it unless it demonstrated failure - if it demonstrates hum, motor boating etc change them and you won't loose much if anything on that piece.

You can always modify the heck out of it per Samra but unless it is for personal use only I would not do it to any Mac, Marantz and maybe this Fisher piece. It really degrades perceived selling value. (Citation stuff is not quite collector's territory and is routinely modified so does not follow the same logic.) It will undoubtably sound "better" but at a price.

YMMV and all that. Good luck with it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.