Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Binding posts

I use the BP-30 posts as I recall. Look on ebay and you may find some older style ones for a good price. The newer ones are available from the usual sources like Allied, but are pricey.

Here is a modern listing :
http://www.newark.com/superior-electric/bp30r/binding-post-30a-8-32-stud-red/dp/35F3006

If you look on ebay you can find surplus ones for $5 or less a piece, but you may need to buy more than you want, and it is hard to buy black and red. Sometimes I use white for the ground with two reds on a channel for 4 and 8 ohm taps. I can buy many so it is ok because I know I will always use them eventually. That allows a good price. The Chinese copies are not as good of course, but for speaker terminals on an amp they are just fine. That is your call. I cut a bunch glass epoxy board plates that are the same size as the originals. Then I mark and drill a pair, taped together. You can mount three posts and it will barely fit. Then just make a terminal for the 16 ohm tap/feedback look connection inside the amp. You may have to nip a little of the inside backing plate on one post with a grinder to keep it from hitting the screw, but not much and it is inside the amp so not visible. It all works well. I attach the transformer leads to the terminals with crimp ring terminals. I solder the leads to the terminals after crimping to make sure they have a great connection to the ring terminal. There are little tricks to making it all work well, but I have worked it out after doing literally dozens of amps that way...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Binding posts - dls123 07:12:11 12/09/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.