Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Possible provider of tube amp repairs(?)

The difference may be getting a vintage piece of gear running again or having a serious vintage audio tech getting the absolute maximum performance out of your Fisher. If equipped with a FM tuner, having the equipment to properly align the FM tuner plus multiplexer is a whole other field.

Imagine a piece of vintage gear being like a road map of a city. You go down every street & alley and know the strength and weakness of the gear. That includes certain tubes and coupling capacitors that enhance the performance. Also, do not forget the revised high energy storage power supply upgrade & ultra low SS noise rectifiers if so equipped.

Guitar amp persons usually prefer the noisy 1N4007 SS rectifiers to add a little trash in the sound (I never compared that). Guitar amps can be very comfortable with nasty ceramic coupling caps for that Marshall sound whereas the Fenders do prefer a more audiophile quality film cap. But, Fishers like two very high grade caps that I never seen in a guitar amp.

BTW- I do not like the stock Fisher sound- too muddy sounding IMO and the phono stage needs serious help to improve it to almost world class performance due to the negative feedback design. Also, must use new (high gain) tubes.

Edits: 12/09/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Possible provider of tube amp repairs(?) - sony6060 02:34:19 12/09/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.