Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: VOM 1448 Replacing PECs or Tone Bypass

I don't think of it as a fad to bypass the tone controls. When you hear a problem with the tone control circuit and do not have a way to fix it, then plan B would logically be to bypass that circuit. I would prefer to stick to plan A which would be to get rid of the PECs and put in discreet components, but I believe plan B would be better than leaving it the way it is.

I don't think it's ridiculous to bypass the tone controls. The old PEC components are going to continue to deteriorate with age and continue to sound worse and worse, so either plan A or B would be better than doing nothing. I've had many a tone control-less preamps that sounded wonderful, so I know that I don't 'need' them, personally.

For now, having the controls at 12 o'clock sounds okay at low volumes, but it seems that they are on their way out when you start to put some power through them. I have two other 1448s other than the one I'm working on and they are not near as bad sounding as this one when you turn the tone controls up. All three have been recapped and the same tubes have been used in each amp.

To sum it all up, I think PECs are just a bean counter's compromise and sound like butt and I'm really looking for answers, not arguments.

Larry D.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.