Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: KLH 5 vs. KLH 6 shootout last night...

Always liked the KLHs of that era. I'd add the KLH 17s to that trio.

About sealing/doping the surrounds. It all depends on how porous the surrounds have gotten.

Back in 1971, when I bought my KLH 17's, I measured the in-box bass resonant frequency. It was 55 Hz on both speakers. Then abot 5-6 years ago, I re-measured them. The resonance was now down to around 36 Hz on one and a little higher on the other. The bass was also not very prominent, even with a 0.5 ohm series resistor. I re-sealed the surrounds with GE kitchen and bath silicone and after it dried, the resonances were back up to 55 Hz on both, and the bass had a much more solid sound and overall better balanced.

Two points here. First is the overall sound, the second is the matching between the two in the pair can be screwed up.

Easiest thing to do is pull a woofer and shine a small light on the surround from the back. That's a quick way to see if the surround is porous. These are Acoustic Suspension speakers and several things, including power handling at low frequencies is dependent on having a sealed cabinet without leaks.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: KLH 5 vs. KLH 6 shootout last night... - Bold Eagle 13:38:47 12/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.