Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Which tube integrated to keep forever? Pilot or Sherwood?

Dave,

Rebuildable Cit V cores do come up for sale from time to time, and that would be a great start for a killer amp.

12BY7As are not as plentiful as they used to be, so if it was me I'd wire the 12BY7A sockets to use the 6CL6 or 6197 and stock up on them. They're cheap and common right now.

Yes, the 6CG7/6FQ7 is a "9 pin 6SN7". The EH 6CG7s work quite well BTW.

As well, the stock power supply can be dramatically improved, especially as relates to improved screen regulation. There's also a few minor alterations to the audio path that you can apply and when you are finished you'll have an AMAZING amp - and an amp that can image like nothing I've ever heard.

If you need an integrated you can easily use a passive unit ahead of a Cit V. The V has an input impedance of about 1 meg and it only takes 1.2 volts RMS to drive it to full output. Most any line-level source can drive that load - just keep the IC cables from the passive to the amp as short as possible and use low capacitance cable. A 50K volume pot is a good choice.

You could clone a Cit V - but just like with the Cit II the transformers are a problem to reproduce.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.