Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Which tube integrated to keep forever? Pilot or Sherwood?

If I had those units I'd be looking for opinions on what to keep too.
The 36 watt mono Sherwood obviously has it's merits and the Pilot looks to have some nice sized xfmrs.
I've never heard an S1000 or Pilot 245A but I have an early S5000 with the slopped 12AX7 mount behind the front panel and it's a real keeper for me.
Even in it's original state, other than the output coupling caps so far, it easily betters the rebuilt Scott 299A I still have and the Fisher 400 and 500C I once had, minus the built in FM of course.
I find the phono gain to be enough for the many MM/MI cartridges I have including a lower output Grado Signature MCZ5.
The original selenium rectifier is going and the low voltage supply is sagging so I stopped using it until I do a partial rebuild because the 7189's are at risk of being toast without enough negative bias voltage.

What's amazing to me is that it sounds like a an amplifier that's 30 to 40 watts per channel even with the original PS lytics.
I've been so happy with the S5000 I may sell off my Mac C-22 and one of my MC225's to fund other projects around the house.
I can listen to the Mac stuff with my Altec Model 19's but the S5000 and my 3 way EV Esquire 200 bookself speakers are a terrific combo that sound more natural and warm to me in many ways than the more sterile sounding Mac/Altec combo and the Mac stuff with the EV's is just OK to me. Go figure.

If your looking for someone in Canada, then check out the provided link.
In an earlier S5000 thread, Don provided a pic of his work on an S5000.
In the states Michael Samra has a good reputation and pics of his work are in that same thread.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Which tube integrated to keep forever? Pilot or Sherwood? - DaveV 17:57:32 12/02/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.