Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Which tube integrated to keep forever? Pilot or Sherwood?

Time to sort out which tube amp to keep long-term. Currently have a Pilot 245A (EL84 output tubes), a Sherwood S5000 (7189 tubes), and one mono Sherwood S1000 II (4 EL84 tubes, for 36 watts output). The Pilot and Sherwood S5000 are both working, but have been used only sporadically, and I like them both. I've never powered up the S1000. Would buy another S1000 for stereo if sound quality would be as good as the S5000. Current daily driver is an Akai M8 reel-to-reel. This has mono integrated tube amps (with phono inputs), using EL84 tubes in SEP mode for 6 watts output, and is staying forever, too - if it had more power I'd not keep any of the others.

My plan is to have the keeper rebuilt, and to sell the others to pay for the rebuild. Would like to hear your thoughts as to which is likely the keeper (bearing in mind that playing vinyl is important). Also, any recommendations as to where to get the rebuild done, preferably in Canada?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Which tube integrated to keep forever? Pilot or Sherwood? - goofytwoshoes 17:04:13 12/02/14 (36)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.