Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: HK Citation II Restoration Grand Finale...

So the funny thing on the paint is something I learned from a body man years ago..and it has very little to do with laying down the paint but more what's done before the paint and after the paint..

This fellow (he was actually a member of the Hell's Angels Motorcycle Club)was a superb body man...but he had a shop that was a dusty and and pretty rough. He also admittedly could not throw down paint very well and didn't have the greatest equipment either.. In my case I have just as "unprofessional" a set up using my dusty garage..and cobbed together spray equipment..

Yet he had folks that would come for miles and spend big bucks for him to do show quality cars. He invested all his time in the body work and prep, keeping the surface integrity as best as possible.. When it came to spraying and actually laying down the paint, it was actually one of the most unimportant steps of the process, it was just get it on there. It did not take up a lot of his time, he just wanted to get the correct layers on there no matter how flawed the result.

Then after the paint cured is where he would "really" go to work and invest his time. It was through the wet sanding process and polishing wheel where he made that finish stand out.... Back to his skill set of surface integrity where he out shined the others, it's what he knew best, that's where the magic happens..

I discovered this approach worked well for my set up at home due to the similar circumstances he had to deal with.. I have done several pieces this way and a few bicycles as well, even though I don't have a bonafide paint shop I can get fairly decent results, better than a spray can any way :)

The Finish is not really a factory finish, but more of a custom finish that is not too over the top. I felt it was still in keeping with the original but just "updated" - my interpretation is, if they could use modern materials today, this is what they would have done. The original is more of a standard enamel that in some cases did not have a primer base before spraying, hence the popular chipped transformers on these that you usually encounter.

J

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.