Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: What is it that makes this amp so special?

Both the circuit and the iron make the S-5000 special, but the chassis and grounding may also be a factor. Mike, Don, Eli, or Brian would be the ones to explain as they have forgotten more than I will ever know about vintage Sherwood gear.

I have owned many vintage pieces from Scott, Fisher, Dynaco, Stromberg Carlson....This Sherwood S-5000 has been the best sounding, although I wish it had a headphone jack. I will say that I have owned a few Stromberg Carlson ASR 433's and the last one I had was a very fine sounding amp after rebuilt with new power supply, tubes, coupling caps, diodes etc.....

I have recently acquired a Audio Research SP3-a and a Harmon Kardon Citation II that will be heading to casa Samra in the Spring. That combo may, or may not surpass the S-5000 - dunno. The Sherwood S-5000 with big iron and 7189 output tubes is a special amp.

Of the vintage gear I have owned I liked the looks of the Fisher X-202-B best, but it fell short of the Sherwood's sonics. Besides, looks are a completely subjective category. I think the Corvette is uglier than a sack of smashed assholes, where as others believe they are the most beautiful car ever built.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.