Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: My Samra'd Sherwood S-5000 Came Today

SF;

I'm running a strong quad of 7189 Amprex Bugle Boys at this time, however, I do have a matched quad of 6p14p-er tubes ready to go in. I also have a pair of NOS Sylvania 7199's.

So far I have been playing around with 12ax7's - Siemens, and Telefunken smooth plates. The Teles seem to have a little more detail and air on the top end and the Siemens have the edge in bass. Since this particular Sherwood is in no way lacking bass, I left the Telefunkens in.

The amp has about 35 hours on it so far and it is really beginning to open up. I suspect those Teflon caps Mikey put in take a bit longer to loosen up than the Russian pio's he normally installs.

Thus far I have compared the S-5000 with a Jolida 502 and a completely rebuilt and re-tubed Fisher 500c. I don't want to disparage that gear, but it was obvious to anyone that could hear that the Sherwood completely outclassed them both.

The phono section in the Sherwood is the real surprise as it sounds sublime. It has a ton of detail and depth, but only up to a point. I'll explain; The highest output cartridge I have lying around is 3.5 mv which plays fine at normal listening levels, but won't play at spirited levels. I suspect that the phono section would like to see around 5 mv so as to have more headroom. No matter, I'm rebuilding my L75 Lenco at this time to accommodate a 12" Jelco or Ortofon arm to run with a Denon 103r and a diy Cinemag SUT.

This clean little Sherwood hot rod at 20 wpc sounds H-U-G-E !! In fact, it sounds closer to 60 wpc.

Mikey hit this rebuild out of the park! To say that I'm pleased would be a gross injustice - I'm ecstatic!

I don't have enough time on it at this point to do a full on review because the speakers are new (Altec/GPA 802, Crites 1526 cast woofers), the interconnects are new (Nordost Heimdall), the DAC is new (PS Audio Nuwave), and I have some new room treatments.

Once I get a handle on things I will have a friend come over and shoot a video and upload it to YouTube. He is a cameraman for a local cable TV channel so the quality should be better than the average shit on Youtube.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: My Samra'd Sherwood S-5000 Came Today - geezerrocket 13:20:32 11/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.