Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

A big thanks to Heyboer

Hi all,
I know this is sort of common knowledge to those of us who try to revive dead vintage tube gear....but I just wanted to say that Heyboer transformers just came through again. They make a lot of replacement iron for the undersized power transformers in some Eico pieces and others. So I had a thread on here recently where I was seeking info on a George Wright AG1000 preamp that had a blown power transformer. It seems that a number of them did this. Not a fault of the design, heaven knows George was a master designer. Just that he got a bad batch of transformers that got out into the world. Unfortunately this preamp has a very small chassis. It is really cute, but cramped. So I finally figured out all the transformer specs from the circuit, clues, and various posts from other inmates with similar models. Also a long conversation with Jim McShane. Thanks Jim! I determined that there was no Hammond or Edcor or any other modern transformer I could find that had the right specs and would fit in the small space. So it was either send this one out for rewinding or call Heyboer. Arlyn said they could wind me a transformer that would fit and we were able to get over spec'd windings by just increasing the size a hair. It will fit and the best part is that for just an order of a single transformer they are doing it for $85. With shipping it will be $100. I cannot get this one rewound for that cost. I know that Heyboer power transformers are good quality having used them in a few Eicos in the past. So...a shameless plug for Heyboer transformers - I am not in any way associated with them. If you need a custom wound replacement for a power transformer then look them up and contact them. It might be cheaper than a rewind.

Don

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - A big thanks to Heyboer - dls123 20:32:46 11/18/14 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.