Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Scott 130 question

David
The Scott 130 has become my favorite preamp right along side the Fisher 400cx2..In spite of the tone controls,the performance of this preamp is phenomenal to say the least.V3 and V103 are there for the tone controls as it steps the gain back up from insertion loss from the tone controls.
Don't bother with R33/R133 and R30/R130 if you want to eliminate the tone controls..Simply disconnect V3b and V103b by pulling off the 100k plate loads on each and hook a .1 cap off V3a and V103a and go directly to the output jacks and that will eliminate the tone controls.
I think it's crazy to do it because if you have ever heard one of these preamps done with an all film cap power supply and new coupling caps and rebuilt DC filament supply,it will knock your socks off.I did use one F&T cap but here is the way you rebuild one of these..It is 90% done in these photos.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 11/16/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.