Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: recapping my amps...

Sometimes your better off just leaving well enough alone. If your 299A works and sounds good to you, maybe you should just replace the four original .1 couplers, the caps that could cause the most problems if they go leaky or bad.

The Russian K40 pio's sound good in my 299A and MC225 and Gudeman .1 pio replacing the .068's in my Sherwood S5000 sound good so they are now a known safe choice for me as couplers.

Other than the high and low voltage supply caps and the LV rectifier, changing to many other caps may or may not be to your liking.

Years ago I replaced most of the small caps in my 299A and found myself replacing them with NOS 1960's caps until it sounded good to me again because I couldn't find a combo of new caps that sounded good to me.
But that's me.

Those brown package radial lead metalized Xicons have lots of snap and zing but they can be bright or harsh. I had them in my 299A for a while but the K40's proved to be as open and lively without the edge.

Check out Mikeys recent S5000 post. There are now two pics of a Sherwood S5000 rebuild reflecting two ways to go in a rebuild.

Edits: 11/13/14 11/13/14 11/13/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.