Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: OK time for the expert, haha!

she will need the luck, brush-on lacquer doesn't really work, it dries fast and leaves brush marks, also, it won't "level" because of the fast drying, really, the best option is spray lacquer, that was what was used (not shellac or oil) and would provide the best look. Note, I have been collecting and restoring these old radios for over 20 years and have done my share of attempted refinishing, so you can learn from my mistakes. There is a local guy here in the DC area that refinishes these radio cabinets, excellent work and not too expensive, that is who I would send it to. There may also be someone in the Blacksburg area, but I don't know, what I do know is that there are a LOT of people who don't know shit about fixing and refinishing old radios properly, that is more than evident watching "American Restoration". Too bad your not closer to DC, I do electrical restoration on old radios as part of my electronics business...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.