Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I get confused

with superlatives. Obviously it's easy in a hobby where subjectivity plays a significant role, but it does get confusing at times. I'm into DIY as well and watch over there, but even over here there will be lots of comments about the superiority of film caps in power supplies, for example. So here is an amp with with UL-connected pentodes, feedback and electrolytic caps in the PS, and an experienced poster saying it's the best he's heard. No DHTs, no ITs, no choke input or even CLCLC supply, and it's not a Cit II. I'm not doubting or challenging it, just trying to make sense of it.

2 questions;

Sony have you heard well-made dht and/or IT-coupled amps but still feel the 8b is superior? (Again, not a challenge, but curious for the sake of perspective)

If the success of the 8b is a function of good "overall balance" in the design, why isn't more discussion here about that balance and what makes it happen rather than specific "superior" topologies/components? IOW why ever replace electrolytics with film caps if electrolytics are part of making one of the best amps on earth?

Of course I'd love to hear every amp and decide for myself but short of that I try to make some sense of what people say here.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.