Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Seas woofer

Thanks for checking that out, and the advice. I did not interpret the manufacturer's response curve quite the same way but recognize a broad peak in the 500 - 2000 Hz region and a sharp one at 3000, both of which are reduced off axis. If you see something that I missed or misinterpreted, I would appreciate your thoughts.

I am using a first order series circuit, with a crossover at about 2000 Hz. The CA22RNX voice coil has an inductance of 1.0 mH, which acts with the shunt capacitor to effect a steeper slope than theory would indicate. My understanding of the series circuit, which may be defective, is that it is a shunt network in which woofer attention is controlled by the shunt capacitor, and the tweeter is attenuated by the inductor.

I had previously worked with the CA21REX woofer, which had a similar problem and only 0.6 mH inductance. The higher inductance CA22RNX works better for in this application.

I use the Seas impedance curve value of 12 Ohms @ 2000 Hz to calculate the initial value of the cap, and built a bank of parallel caps to tune the network. The current total cap value is higher than the calculated value. I am tuning by ear and measurement in my listening room.

I find the literature on series networks sparse, and usually not backed by much practical experience. If you have special knowledge or experience you would be willing to share, I would appreciate it.

Win

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Seas woofer - briggs 13:06:37 11/05/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.