Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: The Monster Amp

Ken D^4

Your conclusion that you are "right" is based on the premise that "...maybe they just cut off the mains plug because that (sic) have different sockets", and is a non sequitur. Following along this line of thought, then "maybe" Dave could be right too. BTW I don't have a schematic for the AU-517 (and you apparently don't either) so I can't really say if it has a death cap or not. I can't believe you did'nt call me on this when I suggested checking this first, viewing your professed expertise! If you had I would have said "Thanks for the clarification/correction", as long as a schematic had been presented of course.

The particular amp under discussion here showed up about 10 days ago in a post by the OP with a UK ad linked which described it as fully functional along with it's original separate tuner. A check of the ad last night shows that it has now been sold, and apparently the same amp is now being discussed here as having a missing power plug, and it's also possibly bound for Russia too. There has been no indication that these are two different AU-517's. You seem eager that this amp be sold to the OP, which begs the question: are you the current seller of the amp, or do you have any connection with the seller? Some kind of disclaimer would be expected here either way, that is if you have any expectations to maintaining any credibility here.

As to sinister theories, I did'nt want to mention this, but as you bought it up....There are rumors of a sado-masochistic audio scene in the UK where the power cords of some equipment are used to whip other equipment by "dominant" experts. As even an amateur electrician could replace the said plug in a few minutes, one has to wonder just why the plug is missing. Just plugging in an old amp/DUT and turning it on is commonly called a "smoke test" for obvious reasons.

You apparently took offense at my condensing your moniker while unintentionally omitting one of the "D's", and you retaliated by removing a "u" from my name when you addressed me as "pal". Well, ya got me on that one.

Paul

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.