Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: George Wright AG1000 preamp power transformer spec

Hi Eli,
I can think of a number of ways to skin that cat too... However, I think the filament winding was probably just barely adequate in the rating of the original trafo and it died. A 2A trafo would be fine for the 1.38 amp load. I have an Antek toroid sitting here that is 240 VAC secondary with a 2A 6 vac winding. There are several Hammonds that have 2A 6.3VAC windings with 220 - 320 VAC secondaries and all are small enough to replace the original. It has mulitple windings that were not used. I am sure George got a deal on a bunch of trafos and used them in various products. This one only needed the two windings. I emailed a guy who was his tech, who Dan (mossback) was kind enough to provide the email address of. Hopefully he knows what the trafo specs were and I can just get an over spec'd replacement that will never fail again. Otherwise, I can improvise anything I want as you suggest, but I need to know that B+ voltage I am shooting for. I know the rectifier voltage drop and current rating. I have many puzzle pieces....but if I get the spec from George's tech then it is easy....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: George Wright AG1000 preamp power transformer spec - dls123 14:16:52 11/02/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.