Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Ping Michael Samra, Sherwood questions..

Hello,

Glad to see you got an S-5000, it's one hell of an amp and most people dismiss it because its an early integrated unit. Big mistake. This amp is VERY good.

It's a shame about the power transformer. The new one may or may not be up to the task, I'd start by measuring your B+ voltage. If you're not in the 425v region there, the amp will probably have any real oomph. If that transformer came out of a 6BQ5 integrated, chances are the B+ voltage will be quite a bit lower.

Usually, the only time these Sherwood transformers fail is if there is something wrong with the circuit causing a prolonged over-current condition. Leaky caps, dodgy bias circuit mods, and the like are worth looking for. There was likely a reason that the original tranny blew.

If it's got your voltages where they need to be, doesn't get excessively hot in operation, then you might be fine. I am really worried that this tranny won't give you all the voltage you want on the B+ side though.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.