Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Any Inmates Insights on HH Scott 209 Amps?

I would not use film coupling caps in a mac60s except for the input and maybe in the cathode follower..You definitely don't want to use anything but a paper in oil for the .047s because it will be bright and brittle sounding and dry. Metal films from grid ground in the preamp and in the phono stage but in the amp you want to stick to more of the carbon films because of the sake of of bandwidth and a CC on the control grids are best because they are non inductive..I used to put metal films everywhere along with polypros everywhere and I could never figure out why I lost so much body and openness until I put them in my Acoustat servo amps..When I had gone back to the original carbon films,it all came back.
The paper in oil on the outputs are great as are Teflons if you can fit them in because there is enough B+ on the driver side which will break in the cap. I have done enough Scotts,Sherwoods,and Macs to know where to get the best sound and how just from proper parts selection..Anywhere you have a 100vdc is more across the cap is a good place to put a paper in oil or teflon cap.
The Solen film and tin foil are very good as well.These are the white colored ones and I like them better than the multicaps and they are less money..
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 10/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.