Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Any Inmates Insights on HH Scott 209 Amps?

SG
Upgrading amplifiers never devalues them unless you physically alter them to where you can't reverse them back to original should you want to sell them..I'm talking cutting up the metal chassis or drilling holes in it...This is why I glue in all the filter caps with goop or some type of RTV because it's very easy to undo the that.
What I would do if they were mine is put in a 50uf panasonic poly film cap in place of C1a which is a 30uf in the schematic.For C1b and C2a are a 20uf and 30uf in parallel and I would just put another single 50uf panasonic film cap in their place..Both of these 50uf caps can fit underneath the chassis with some goop.
For C2b which is a 20uf and C3a which is a 10uf I would use a dual 100uf at 500v JJ or F&T electrolytic there.You then have another 10uf and you can use a single axial lead 47uf electrolytic.
For the 75v caps you want to use 220uf at 100v Muse kZ caps.You can use a dual 100uf electrolytic if you don't want to use the 50uf poly film caps but I prefer the polys there,
The rest is coupling capacitors that should be paper in oil on the EL34 outputs and polys on the preamp..
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.