Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Mikey Helps The Technically Challenged - Me.

6bq5;

It had a obviously fried resistor(s) of the wrong value when I received it.

Per Mikes' instruction I changed out the two wired in series fried resistors (to valve 9) to a single 1.2k 10 watt wire wound. I then turned it on and watched all the pretty smoke - Bwah Ha Ha!

Mike was kind enough to call me on his lunch hour and had me pull the output tubes, turn the volume down, then power it up and begin inserting 7591 tubes one at a time until the smoke appeared - Bad tube. A technically astute person would have noticed the cherry red tubes, but no one has ever accused me of being such. The bad tube was a JJ 7591S. I have had nothing but trouble with JJ power tubes, however, I have had good results with JJ small signal tubes. Anyway, I had no idea that could/should be done.

I am in the process of getting rid of the toggle on/off switch that was installed when the volume detent failed.

I will be getting a hold of Jim McShane for some grid resistors, Russian K40 pio .1uf coupling caps, matched quad of 7591's, and a couple of 12ax7 lps tubes. After that, it's off to the garage to power a pair of Heresy's.

Again; Thanks to Mikey and the other tech savvy members here that help the knuckle daggers like me on this forum.

This is precisely why I will be sending Mike my HK Citation II and AR SP3 (acquired very recently) later this winter. He sounds pretty excited about doing surgery on the SP3.

At this time he has my Sherwood S-5000 just about ready for shipping - Should be fun!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.