Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

What Does $50 Buy?

My brother called me up last week and said he had something that I needed to see.

Turns out he bought a storage locker with a Fisher 500c in it.
He said he plugged it in and a bunch of white smoke came out of it and it blew a fuse. Since he already has my old 500c he said, "give me $50 and it's yours." DONE!

I brought it home and pulled the bottom cover off of it and immediately noticed that it had been rebuilt at some point because it had Illinois capacitor coupling caps and electrolytics. Upon further investigation it was apparent someone had cobbled a couple of resistors in series to valve 9.
The resistors were noticeably burned and were the wrong value. Could this be the source of the white smoke? A 1.2k 10 watt wire wound should have been there (Thank you Mike Samra). Someone also rigged a toggle switch for the on/off as the detent on the volume no longer worked.
The power tubes are a combination of JJ 7591s, and one old 7591a. I'm guessing this not a matched quad.

Now for the good part; Nine made in West Germany Telefunken smooth plate 12AX7's that test very strong - Yipee Yahoo!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - What Does $50 Buy? - geezerrocket 10:39:57 10/08/14 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.