Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Empire cartridge and needls

Empire made lots of cartridges to cover all the price points but I'd say that the most desireable ones today are the 999,1000,2000,4000 and ERD-9 because they were the "better ones" in their day.
The earlier Empires like the 888 and the first 999 had a different style stylus assembly so that makes interchangeability tougher. Then there were two types of shank or the rod part of the stylus assembly that goes into the cartrdige. One was round and the other had more of a triangular shape further making interchangability tough.
To make it more difficult, there were variations in the stylus tip itself that were designated by the letters after the model number like VE or VEX.
I'm cool on my 1000 but I love my 4000D/111 that needs a 100K low capacitance input to sound right because it was from the 4 channel era and the decoders had 100K inputs.
Unless you get an original stylus or one from Jico, I wouldn't bother with an Empire because I'd always wonder how it could sound with an original stylus but they are pricey when you find them.
The provided link might give you a better picture of types and prices.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Empire cartridge and needls - DaveV 09:09:07 10/08/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.