Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: New Vintage Phono Preamp

I have two of the Heathkit WA-P2 (what do you mean ugly?!) preamps. I powered them from a common PS and found that they sounded really nice. I did build a DC heater supply for them which was not part of how they originally worked. These benefitted from tube rolling. I really enjoyed the control flexibility except having to adjust two volume controls. I did have some vinyl with different recording standards and these allowed me to play them. If I'm totally honest, I'd say they competed really well with more modern preamps (even my own design) despite the fact that they had all that EQ stuff and bass & treble controls - go figure. I thought for a bit about stacking them and running some kind of O ring between the two VC shafts to moving one would move the other, but never did it. Maybe I should dig them out and give them another run?
Incidentally, one was built by my grandfather back in the 50's and the other I found as an unbuilt kit on Ebay for almost nothing. I snagged it and built it. A lot of fun, actually. Reminded me of other Heathkits I'd put together as a kid.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: New Vintage Phono Preamp - SteveBrown 16:44:20 10/01/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.