Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Nakamichi CR-2A cassette deck

Nak's issue was with their belts. Their belts were custom made because their logic system was based on a mechanical clutch system.

Push play and the machine starts up and as the clutch senses tension, it does into pause, then stop, then rewind. Without the proper tension the clutch mechanism does not work , at least not as intended. Use a universal belt as from PWB and the machine may work for a week, maybe more, but the tensions are not to Nak specs and inevitably it will crap out.

Later CR series incorporated a direct drive, which eliminated the belts.

That being said, I recall doing a search recently and found a couple of companies claiming to have remanufactured the original belts. Forget contacting Nakamichi. They have long been sold to a Taiwanese company which does not bother with the vintage stuff that made the name great. I would buy a belt set and store in the frig in a sealed bag, just in case, as I do not how much longer these specialty manufacturers will continue their supply.

Incidentally the user azimuth adjustment feature on the top line models (700, 1000 and Dragon) were originally patented by Tandberg.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.