Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Philips High Fidelity Laboratories

When you say you met the guy, what guy? If he has some info as to the series either from the Magnavox era or Philips I would like to contact his as K tried to get some history about the project and series.

For a number of hears I had the complete and they were on of the more outstanding full systems from any manufacturer. The tuner is highly sought after and the most common of the 3 units. The preamp and amp are rare. If you locate one of the amp's do not worry if silver or black faced, just get it. It is a great sounding, well actually it has no sound, amp. The preamp with the touch sensitive switches and light map was a bit over the top when it came out and I never did figure out the reasoning for the map other tuner putting some glitz in an otherwise unused space. They would have done better with a couple of vu meters, I think. The tuner is like #6 on the TICKET shootout list. The preamp seems to get no notice while the amp just a bit more likely because the resale per watt is low rather. If the pair said Marantz or some other label likely they would fetch 4x+ the price.

The amp kicks button. I had mine mated to my Bozak Symphonies and it was the best Mp I ever mated to them including McIntosh, Audio Research, Krell, Cary and others. It seemed to take total control of those woofers perfectly. When I downsized, my first list included all my big gear but the Philips. It only went later when I had sold off all other power amps and dedicated preamps.

I still have 3 of the receivers from the series and they have survived sweeps as I sell off my receivers. The smallest is absolutely safe from sale as my new system objective will require small size and power.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.