Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Pilot SA-232 WOW

This is an amp I did a fresh rebuild on and I changed every part in the amp outside of the transformers..All resistors were changed to carbon film Kos Speers which are the same Kwammies and a few other types of CF and a few metal films in high gain areas for grid leaks..I used a 35uf poly filter cap off the GZ34 which adds dynamic character and purity to any amp with a GZ34 rectifier.I went 220uf muse KZ bypass on the output tube cathode resistors which are vishay.I did use Huntington on the 15k paralled which bacame a 7.5k five watt.
Down stream the 80uf and 40uf were replaced with 180uf nichicons 105 degree. Power resistors are Ohmmite which I like as well as the mills and Huntington in the lower values. Russian Teflons were used on the outputs and from voltage amp to driver I used k40s.I used silver coaxial input wire that my daughter gets for me and although I didn't put in a 6cg7 yet,that will be next..I have an extra set of filament wires to work with and even tho this amp is a monumental improvement over stock,we always look for every last bit we can squeeze..The amp is dead quiet and even tho its 16 watts per channel,the charismatic charm this amp exudes is very satisfying at all volume levels.I am sure power is up by a couple watts and many more peak watts while distortion has been cut in half.
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" H. L. Mencken

Edits: 09/13/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Pilot SA-232 WOW - Michael Samra 22:37:57 09/13/14 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.