Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Noise Has Abated

The one I just got had a higher hiss level than my original when first turned on. I cranked it up a might and it subsided so, I let it rest a couple of days and today when I turned it on, it was low, as low as my original so while not sure what was the cause it has gone at least for now. Level is low enough not to be noticeable with either the full range Fosters or Klipsch Heresy IIs playing at well above my listening level and source on an open input such as phono. Not any more noticeable at max volume on either than my big Sony receiver or Yamaha set. So, looks good to go for both. I had outpatient surgery this week and it takes about a week to recover so, next week I will play more with the new toy.
My original one has a contour button that only periodically stays engaged. I never use the loudness compensation on any unit so not a major issue but, maybe one day I will dig into it; maybe just needs a more complete cleaning as others were similarly acting until I opened it and used some contact cleaner. All others now work so maybe I was just too conservative with the cleaner as soon after buttoning it up, it started acting up again.

With just a brief listen with the newly rebuilt Klipsch HIIs tonight, nothing glaringly wrong presented itself. It would need nkce if the HIIs played nice with the receiver now because before the rebuild they did not get along together. The receiver is quite synergistic with the KLH Five, not surprisingly. I need to mate it with the Wharfedale W70s now that the new oil caps seemed to have finally settled in. If they play nice together then the receiver and my Sherwood ss amp and tuner will be two sets that come out as the winners. I do need to mate the Philips 785 to the HIIs and evaluate to see if it is a 2 or 3 runner horse race.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Noise Has Abated - Brian Levy 18:11:05 09/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.