Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Attention Rectilinear III owners

You have to keep things in perspective. Julian Hirsch was a founder of the New York Audio League back in the 50's. Their goal, as I recall, was to select "reference" equipment, and evaluate other gear as compared to the reference. That eventually lead to writing the articles for Stereo Review. At that time, there really was nothing else around that gave good advice to consumers. Stereophile came along later with its no-nonsense approach. In fact, Stereo Review predates stereo, so it had an earlier name that I don't recall. Hirsch-Houk also wrote reviews for one of the electronics magazines (maybe Electronics World or Popular Electronics, I can't recall which)and it was interesting to compare the two articles for the same components. Same test data; but often presented differently, and the text in the articles was different as the magazines had a different orientation.

I once came across a JBL engineer at a group presentation. Someone in the audience asked if Julian was on the take. His response was that he was honest, he just couldn't hear. From my standpoint, Julian suffered from an over-heated typewriter. I listened to a lot of the speakers he reviewed, and in many cases did not agree with his views.

A commonly used phrase was: "This is among a handful of the finest equipment we have auditioned". All I can say is that he must have had very large hands.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.