Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Koss vs Nakamichi

I'm stumped. I got two adaptors today in mail one that converts a stereo 1/4 inch plug to a mini and one that converts a mini plug to a 1/4 incher.

That means computer/tablet gear.can run any headphone with either a vintage receiver or

Put the mini adaptor on the Pro4AA and plugged into HP desktop slimline. sound only in one channel and very low. Took that under advisement.

I have several JVC receivers, two from 1972 and one from early 80s.

Plugged the Pro4AA into both of those, and they worked fine, except I think the liquid that was in the earpads has all but evaporated. Sound fine with either receiver.

Plugged the 4AA into my laptop. They worked fine

Plugged the Nakamichi into either JVC receiver They sound very distorted, no good at all.
Plugged the Nakamichi into laptop. They sound excellent. Very good.

The most amazing thing was plugging the cheap Wal Mart Koss headphones into the 80s JVC. They are really excellent in that application with lots of bass.

The cheap Koss sound good with the older JVC but they really match with the 80s one.

Not sure what is causing the distortion withthe Nakamichi conected to the receivers but very obvious.

Plugged the Koss Pro4AA back into the HP Slimline. Suddenly worked fin--ok volume and both channels present. BUT the Nakamichis sound better in that application.

The cheap Koss headphones ($4.88) connected to the stereo receivers was the real positive surprise. The Nakamichis in that application are unlistenable.

But I like the Nakamichis better than the cheap Koss phones when connected to a laptop.

Go figure. I have one more set on the way, a pair of $7 earbuds from Panasonic that are a top seller at Amazon with a large number of (as in 12,000) very good reviews. Stay tuned.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE120K-In-Ear-Headphone-Black/dp/B003EM8008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409947579&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+earbuds

Still one more on order.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RP-HT21-Lightweight-Headphones-Port/dp/B00004T8R2/ref=sr_1_55?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1409963918&sr=1-55&keywords=panasonic+earbuds

go figure. I now have $40 total in four pairs of headphones plus the adaptors.
David

Edits: 09/06/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Koss vs Nakamichi - DavidLD 13:04:36 09/05/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.