Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Attention Rectilinear III owners

Ryan,

If you go back to the original review on the lowboy version, Julian's review stated that "it could not be distinguished" from an electrostatic. Readers objected vehemently to that statement. His comments in the later highboy review deny he said that and he back away from his first review's comments; but he definitely did. A case where his rhetoric caught him up.

Years and years ago, my friends and I caught on to the code behind Hirsch-Houk Labs rhetoric, and found that unless Julian was wildly enthusiastic about a product, it was just OK. The other part of the article, Gladden Houk's lab work, was well done, and it was worth wading through Julian's over heated rhetoric to get to.

Back in the 60's and 70's I subscribed to several of the news stand publications, including Stereo Review, High Fidelity and Audio. Audio was by far the best of the three, and I thought High Fidelity was the runner up, although all three did some good articles, many of which I still have. In that same period, I thought the British magazines were the best and I bought them when I could find them. I particularly like the approach of What Hi-Fi? and Hi-Fi Answers, as they focused mainly on matching components into systems; rather than the American mags focus on individual components by themselves, and then ranking them in some kind of absolute hierarchy.

Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.