Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Attention Rectilinear III owners

Thanks for the good news, Crestwood23. Anybody have a cosmetically clean pair to unload within a 100 miles of NYC? The condition of the drivers and crossovers are inconsequential for my purpose.

Taking swipes at Julian Hirsch, without whom this thing of ours would be much the poorer, seems to have become as mindlessly reflexive on this Forum as Bose bashing. Julian worked for a commercial institution, one that depended on advertising revenues for its continued existence.

In the 'seventies and 'eighties, I reviewed restaurants for several newspapers, none of them The New York Times. Realistically, if restaurant food manages to rise to the level of mediocrity, it's considerably better than average. But I understood early on that my job was to accent the positive, so my employers could keep selling enough newspapers to stay in business. So I learned to write with enough subtlety so that my readers, at least the more intelligent ones, could glean all the information they needed by reading between the lines. When it came to the art of damning with faint praise, Julian was a master.

There is no doubt that Julian's admiration for the Rectilinear III was genuine. And why not? The Rec IIIs were, and remain, excellent speakers.

Dull? Not enough jump? A chacon son gout. Over the course the the Company's twenty-two year run, its engineering department included Jim Bongiorno; Marty Gersten; John Dahlquist; and Dick Shaninian. The contributions that these men went on to make in the field of reproduced sound are far too numerous to list.

Many older Forum members will recall Rectilinear's full page ads with great affection. They ran in both hobbyist and general interest magazines, and were intelligent, witty, and illustrated by Rick Meyerwitz, one of the best political caricaturists of the Nixon and post-Nixon eras. Rick must himself have been an audiophile, because in the backgrounds of his drawings for these ads were brilliantly hilarious caricatures of Quads, Ohm Fs, Heil AMTs, etc. Anybody remember?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.