Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Pro dj versus vintage follow up

Kinda late f/u on this, but anyway..everything went fine at the wedding itself. Really, the Sansui 881 drove these pretty effortlessly, all in all. Here is the long version of my experience, which I will use to defend my denial of payment to the rental company with Visa. It was an interesting lesson for me as well.

I do have concerns about my rental experience. I live 300 miles out of town. I went to the store a month ahead to discuss renting small passive speakers and stands to use with my 2 channel amp, which I have used multiple times for large outdoor parties. We discussed details, including custom cables I would make to match the 1/4 inch jacks on the PA speakers. No problem, the technician said. (We even talked details like gauge of wire for the cables!). I mentioned I needed smaller speakers as the event was a small backyard wedding plus I have a bad back. Again, no problem.
I wanted to reserve the equipment right then but was told just to call the day before the event as they have so much stock in house. Price would be $70.00.
HERE'S where it gets weird. I called 2 days before the wedding, and reminded them who I was and that I wanted to reserve the speakers. I was then told no way could I mate my amp with their speakers safely. I asked what the Db sensitivity was on the speakers ( no answer) and reminded them I had already discussed this. They said, "this is a pro DJ store, not home theater"...anyway, I didn't have time to argue the point so I agreed to rent a mixer, cables, and powered speakers for a new cost of $150.00.
After thinking about it and consulting with sound engineer friends of mine, I realized I didn't want to learn a new mixer, etc while at the wedding, and I knew my amp could handle the job and would sound better, so I called back 24 hours before pickup, and said I was quite sure my equipment would work and could we go back to the original plan?
They said OK, speakers and stands, but now the price would be $140.00, with larger speaker which I did not need, to make up for me canceling the previous order!
I ended up with large 15" two way horn loaded speakers, way bigger than I needed and had to have help from family and friends moving them.
The event went fine, my amp stayed at 3 most of the night, going up to 6 for the later dancing.
I feel like I was punished financially and given a bogus story by World of Stereo.
"When the demon is at your door, in the mornin' it won't be there no more"
Steely Dan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.