Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

Yamaha NS-15

Oh, so it one of the BES licensed products. I remember them when they came out. Scratched my head and tried to figure it out as to having any dcience whereby the shape of the ear somehow translated to a better shape of a speaker driver. I think almost everyone but a Yamaha dealer found the concept completely amusing, including customers. I think it actually hurt Yamaha's reputation for a time. It might have been better to shape it like a violin or other musical instrument to acheive the marketing goal.

The underlying BES technology was pretty good but between Leak, Fisher and Yamaha they pretty much killed the technology in a home audio product other than in-wall or in-ceiling driver where the sonic attributes were less demanding. With the right amp and room, the actual BES speakers could be pretty good. The largest was a twin panel that was bridged. I pulled the cponnectors and tried them with identical amps on each panel and then used an active crossover and played with them and found in some setups the stacked as sold was better and with other combos the twin amp or active crossover bi-amping was better. Their biggest issue with the stack was as shipped the setup was not so the tweeter panels were closest together.

The totl Yamaha designs showed some promise as they did try to develop the technology somewhat but really had no place to go with it because of the panel shape. Stacking would not work. Bigger panels had limitations because of the hammer and associated weight and size needed to drive the panel.

I personally kept the audition set we received for evaluation for a couple of years and enjoyed them but my crew voted them out feeling, like the Magnapans, it was too gimmicky and a flash in the pan. They were half right.
Don Brian Levy, J.D.
Toronto ON Canada

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.