Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

I don't know... actually not that bad for "bench made"

I agree, I wouldn't be interested in paying $26k for this.

But....

and it's a big well qualified BUT.

I used to work in the custom bespoke furniture industry for a very well-known designer and as such have a different view of the business model.

They are obviously not selling enough of these to justify full on production runs or else we would be seeing more of them from new owners posting. As soon as I saw "bench made" in their intro I knew that they are making these to order. That means lots of carrying cost on the materials and components or else uncontrollable lead times. They are also probably subbing out the metal work. If not you have to add in the additional overhead for separate metal and wood shops (they don't mix well, ask any finisher). Speaking of overhead, average shop rate should be between $80-100/hr. without profit to cover wages, rent, lights, etc just for the workshop. I see they also have a showroom that has to be staffed and maintained. Oy vey, this all starts to add up really fast. I haven't really sat down and crunched the numbers, but shooting from the hip this is probably in the ballpark of what I would have to charge if trying to make 10 units or so a year for 10 different clients (direct sales downside) with taking into account all related issues with storage, shipping, warranty issues, and super picky clients (who are justified because they bought a very expensive piece of art). All while trying to make a decent living pursuing their passion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally defending the designers pricing. I just know from experience that it is very easy to severely underestimate what it actually takes to produce stuff like this in the US in very limited production. It is often exponentially more than the sum of the parts.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I don't know... actually not that bad for "bench made" - dogwan 18:11:49 09/01/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.