Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: Mc240 McShane upgrades? Some maybe but not this power supply

First off, the term "orange drops" is used to describe a bunch of caps with significantly different performance and construction characteristics. The 716P caps provided in my kit are film/foil polypropylene with tinned copper leads. They provide excellent performance, and work quite well in conjunction with the other caps in the kit. The lesser quality "orange drops" (225PS, 715P, 6PS, etc.) aren't as good, but the 716Ps are quite good despite the fact that they aren't "audiophile" or "boutique" caps.

"An upgraded power supply is important. That MC-240 power supply does not appear upgraded in the least."

Then you don't know what you are looking at. While the original caps were left in place for whatever reason, the power supply has fast diodes replacing the originals, voltage doubler caps that are VERY low ESR 105 C Panasonics - that are significantly (a bit over 3X) larger than original, and larger value JJ dual section caps replacing the 50 year old originals in the B+. The bias supply has a fast/soft recovery diode replacing the stock rectifier, and far better (and larger value) capacitance after the diode.

The resistors in the PS are all uprated from stock for long term durability.

The reviews I get from my audio path cap and power supply cap kits are exceptional.

The statement you made - "That MC-240 power supply does not appear upgraded in the least." is 100% incorrect. The installation wasn't what I'd like or what I'd recommend, but the parts/kits he used are top performers, and the result is a significant upgrade in performance for the amp. If you want to use different parts/topologies/etc. that's fine. But don't make statements like you did unless you know what you are looking at.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Mc240 McShane upgrades? Some maybe but not this power supply - Jim McShane 11:47:35 08/29/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.