Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: What were your big leaps in audio

My older brother had a dynaco pas? tube preamp and the stereo 35 tube amp that he had built from kits. His turntable was the ARxa and the cartridge was undoubtedly a Shure. The speakers were AR2ax. Wow did it sound good to my 11 year-old ears. That started me down the path. As I go into high school I built various kits including a Southwest technical products preamp and a pair of their tiger amps. All SS. That culminated in a Hafler DH220 amp kit -which sounded quite good and I had for years. I had SS gear all through my adult life until about 10 years ago when I bought a used Jolida integrated amp. I had a Krell integrated at the time. The Jolida was much more musical. It reminded me of that old system my brother had. Of course Jolida gear is just entry level and not well constructed so I started down the path of tubes. I wanted to restore a vintage piece and found a Citation V and that was how I met Jim McShane. Then I finally found Citation I and II cores that I could afford and did those. Wow. I eventually ended up becoming Jim's authorized tech and have rebuilt probably 300-400 pieces of tube gear in the past 5 or so years so that I have gotten to hear examples of more amps and preamps that I could possibly list. It's great. I don't need a collection because eventually I get to hear most things that are on my bucket list! They all have their sonic virtues, but the main point is that they are all have tubes in them. Guess I am just a tube guy! Great thread!

cheers,
Don

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What were your big leaps in audio - dls123 07:56:19 08/25/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.