Home Vintage Asylum

Classic gear from yesteryear; vintage audio standing the test of time.

RE: What were your big leaps in audio

I grew up in the 1950's and my parents really didn't listen or care that much for and about music. I on the other hand did and ended up playing in a rock and roll band at age 14 with a bunch of guys 5-6 years older than me. At home it was a Magnavox console and basic entry level Garrard turntable that really wasn't all that good. Went off to college and one of the guys on my floor had a component system that rocked. We'd eat dinner then head to his room and he had a basic transistor based system that really rocked out... we would crank up the Moody Blues "Ride My Seasaw" and always ended listening right before "quiet hours" started at 7PM with (from the "Blow-up" sound track) "Stroll On" with the Yardbirds featuring Herbie Hancock.... totally awesome even today... so I needed to get my own system with minimal bucks so... built a Dynakit SCA-35 ($99) added a United Audio Dual 1019 with Shure m44e cartridge ($130) and UTAH HS-1 ($99) because they were the biggest baddest speakers I could find at reasonable price. This system did me quite well until inspired by the new MTV I upgraded speakers to Bose 501's in 1984 or so... (I still have these, upgraded them, and believe it or not they sound great.) I'm now with Conrad-Johnson in the main system with Soliloquy speakers and a Thorens 321 with Sumiko MMT tonearm and a Grado Statement cartridge...
the big leaps were first, that components were way better than my folks console system; the cartridge is the most important component if you are listening to vinyl; tube systems are wonderful and lifelike compared to solid state, and last... it's really all about the music and at the listening experience.

Sim

P.S. Sorry for going on so long

Edits: 08/24/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What were your big leaps in audio - spindoctor 13:27:48 08/24/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.